Wednesday 7 September 2011

Autumn has fallen . . . hard

Well, it's September 7 and it's 14 degrees Celsius (that's 57 for us Fahrenheit-ers) here in Southwestern Ontario - YIKES. 

The last few days of August were in the 20s and low 30s (70s & 80s) and that lasted through the first couple of days of September.  It was like the weather hadn't realized it was the beginning of fall - the climate hadn't caught up to the calendar.  But as soon as it did, off went the heat and on came the cold.  Man it was chilly waking up on Labour Day at 16C or 60F degrees!

And so it begins, our journey toward winter.  Though the leaves haven't started turning yet, it won't be long.

Sure sign that summer is over: the sedum is blooming. 

All that beautiful colour that Mother Nature gives us in the Autumn is just a cheat to make us forget the endless white that will soon blanket the landscape.

Some people profess to love fall - the colour, the renewal, the new season, the cooler temps.  Is that you are you a 'faller' or do you dread it because it's the beginning of winter?

Chime in here and let us know what's your fav season.

3 comments:

  1. I admit it, I'm a "faller." :-) And I noticed yesterday that my sedum darkened in color overnight! But I only love it through December 31, and think the New Year should bring New Spring along with it. I like how invited discussion at the end of your post. Your blog really is very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to become a faller now that I live in a city that has real seasons. Where I grew up (Phoenix, AZ) a site like yours would have to be called Residents Against Fall Temperatures Higher than 100 Degrees. I'm even (possibly naively) looking forward to a white winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Midwesterner and I don't know about favorite season but what I do know is that I like when the weather is in the 70s during the day, sunny, and it stays light until at least 7:00 pm. I can say I am spoiled!

    ReplyDelete